week past, during my two writing workshops, participants and I discussed on how to write dialogue. It was during the course of Friday, however, that I suddenly turned on the method that uses quotation marks. Before, I must admit, I did not understand this technique only partially ...
You know, I love teaching writing because I learn so much! It's crazy ...
So it is by reading an excerpt of the novel The Junk participants that I understood this in detail how to write dialogue.
Beautiful technique, you'll see! The more I discover, the more I love it.
Let's start with an example from my imagination, a first draft, with some adjustments, right? And all its imperfection: my goal, do not forget, is to illustrate the method.
Aline walked nervously toward John. He did not even noticed, which increased his anxiety, and his heart is racing. At any moment, her legs would let go. He does not need, he should know. Decided, despite his wobbly stilts, she stood before him. "I'm your girl," she said. He burst out laughing. "What are you talking about, girl? Did you sleep badly?
- No, I have the DNA evidence. Here ... "
He took the note she handed him, and the more he read, the more his face grew pale. He pointed it suddenly stern eyes on her. Aline started. "How is this possible? "He asked abruptly, handing him the sheet. "I have no children, I have no wife, I've been alone ...
- You never met a women in your life?
- Well, uh, he said, yes, a few, but nothing serious ...
- You never imagined that one of them could get pregnant by you? "
He rubbed mechanically chin, squinting. Y ap't be the gypsy, Francoise, frolics with whom I have a little longer ...
- Francesca, perhaps?
- No, her name was Frances! When I met her, she nestled against the Pacific Ocean in a kind of blue caravan she was probably fired from his old Jeep. "
John smiled, appear suddenly lost in her memories. Aline took the opportunity to release a photo of his pocket and waved it under his nose. "The caravan, by chance? He stole a glance at her. His eyes betrayed a deep disbelief, fear too. From a slow gesture, he took the picture and examined it.
What must be understood with this technique is that every time you want to introduce a sentence of narration, you must close quotation marks to open later during following a replica, as shown in the example below.
"I'm your girl," she said. "He burst out laughing . "What are you talking about, girl? Did you sleep badly?
If I did not close the quotes after the second replica, it is because another reply directly followed. In this case, you must use dashes to introduce this new replica. And when you have multiple replicas that are linked together, without including sentences belonging to the narrative, focus on the dashes.
"I no children, I have no wife, I've been alone ...
- You never met a women in your life?
- Well, uh, he said, yes, a few, but nothing serious ...
- You never imagined that one of them could get pregnant by you? "
The first line is introduced by a quotation that opens, then the following are preceded by a hyphen. And the last line of the exchange ends with a closing quotation mark. There.
okay? You always follow me? OK, so we can continue.
What now interpolations? It's very simple. If they are short, you insert them inside quotation marks. "I'm your girl," she said . " By cons, if they are long, you close the quotation mark before and after write the incision.
He took the note she handed him, and the more he read, the more his face grew pale. He suddenly leveled harsh eye on her. Aline started. "How is this possible? " he asked abruptly, handing him the sheet. "I have no children, I have no wife, I've been alone ...
And if another replica of the same character follows, then you reopen the quotes as I did.
To conclude, here an excerpt from the novel by Sarah Waters, The Junk , P.136-137. I suggest you take your time to analyze how the author uses quotes and dashes in his dialogues. Happy reading and exploring!
"It was nobody's fault," said Caroline. That's what brother who has unleashed on the harpsichord. And if the parents had managed to keep the little instead of letting them run around - or better yet, if they had not simply brought ... "
What exactly brought us back to the starting point, except that this time is Caroline, his mother and me revécûmes the drama from beginning to end, each bringing his vision slightly different events. From time to time, I glanced toward Rod. I saw him light a new cigarette - it failed completely, dropping tobacco on his knees - I felt him stir constantly agitated, annoyed as our voices. However, I did not realize how he felt ill until he pounces on his sudden feet.
"Enough! he said. I can not stand it. I have heard enough for today. Excuse me, Mom, Doctor: I return to my room. I'm sorry. I ... I'm sorry. "
He spoke in a voice so exhausted and was moving so painfully that I pretended to get up to help.
"It's going to go?
- Very well, "he said once, extending a hand as if to repel. "Do not worry. Really, I'm fine. He smiled unconvincing. "Simply, I feel a bit seedy after tonight. I'll ... I'll tell Betty to bring me a cacophony. After a good night's sleep, I'll be in great shape. "
Her sister got up, walked towards him and slipped an arm under his.
"You do not need me, Mom? she said softly. In this case, I will also say good night. "She looked embarrassed. "Thank being passed to us, Dr. Faraday. That's very considerate of you. "
I was forced to get up in my lap. "Sorry for not being able to bring better news. But please, try not to worry too much.
- Oh, I'm not worried, "she said with a smile as brave as his brother. "That people can say what they want. They will not touch Gyp. I will not let them do it. "
Roderick and it came out, the dog trotting along faithfully on their heels, reassured for the moment, with the assurance of their voices.
There.
Thanks for being there and read me!
Annie xxx ...
0 comments:
Post a Comment