The creative process of Alain
Roman starts : How do you visualize how you create? (For example Mireille Pochard, in his book Writing a novel and getting published says that when she writes, she visualizes a ball, she imagines that everything is already inside her, she creates nothing, it is sufficient to unwind ... This does not undo a few knots that need to move!) What about you?
Alain : A ball? Like so ... In my case, it is much simpler: I see myself to blacken the pages of my notebook. Well, with this answer, I do not blacken the pages of this questionnaire ... I do not break my head too much about the creative process. This is something extremely complicated sum. What generates an idea? How often do we assemble words into a story please? Will I ever find a new project? The author, as the musician or artist, is it simply a channel connected to a common source of inspiration? Go know. I prefer not not break my head with theories and I prefer the action: writing, full stop.
Roman starts : How born your stories? Is the character comes first, plot, location, atmosphere, decor? Is it you who decides the story or your characters?
Alain : The first thing I care about in a story is the fall! If there is no fall, there are characters walking around in a vacuum and hoping for a story that does not succeed. Sometimes characters are created without my knowing quite what to make of it. In order not to forget, I write in a notebook and I myself a story, with a fall, is made in my little head. It can take days, hours (minutes as well), months or never occur altogether.
As I have a production schedule - let us not mince words - and I plan my work about a year in advance, I always know what's coming for me (with a few surprises about what I allow myself). For example, I have a vague idea for the next Small Pirates (Penguin Maboul) retravaillerai idea that I do that in a year. It seems that when the deadline approaches, some son in my mind together and cook up something. So that when I write the story, everything is almost ready to go.
In terms of my characters, even if I hear them say the aftershocks, I'm the boss, despite what they claim. Sometimes they go so fast that I hardly follow and write anything. This is also why I write by hand in a notebook. It goes much faster than the computer (and I will not lose my text, as it happened in the early years).
Roman starts : How do you immerse yourself in the minds of your characters and pass them feel inside?
Alain : I slip into their skin, simply. I have a dozen sets everywhere, but the "voice" of each character is distinct, although there may be some similarities in the end (of the story?). I know how everyone reacts to this situation. Let us not forget also the literary editor who receives the text and who also knows the characters.
Roman starts : Do you plan to write? Or rather, do you write your first draft by relying on what comes simply to your inspiration? How do you proceed?
Alain : Whether for a small album of 16 pages or 220 pages of a novel, the writing process remains the same: to First the plan. I often make the analogy with my animations. If I do not plan to go to school, I will lose myself, that's guaranteed. Same for writing. I write a summary of the story must take up a paragraph. Then write down all ideas that come to mind to enrich the narrative. Finally, I divided my story into chapters (depending on the target audience) and I make a summary for each chapter. So I always know which direction I'm going. I once wrote a text in the dark and I did not get to destination. Because time is precious, I have repeated the experiment, thank you.
Roman starts : How far from your unconscious is it present in your writing? (Y do you trust? How do you work with him? During the first jet? In the rewrite? At each step of creating your story? How do you visualize? A fairy with a magic wand? A master writer sits quietly at his desk on top of a mountain? How would you describe your relationship with your unconscious? Etc.).
Alain : When I know I'll write the next day, no matter where I am in my story, I always conditioned before going to bed . You could call this building creative. Yes, I think my subconscious has something to do with all this. Ironically, Alain prénommer to be aware and to appeal to in conscious is subtle enough, thank you. Take your time, there ... I am making a series of books, documentaries, cartoons (Did you know? Editions Michel Quintin) where I have to create 29 gags from a simple sentence. What is not always obvious. When I stumble on some gags, the evening before bed, I condition myself to find the solution to my problem. And this solution is fast enough the next day.
Roman starts : What are your tips to annihilate the force of your inner critic to sabotage your writing? (When you're stuck, what do you get out?)
Alain : to writing novels, in fact I never blocks because the plan mentioned above. I can sometimes stumble over sentences, but I also gives me the chance of not achieving perfection from the first draft, to be human after all.
My score Years in journalism serves me well. In a dozen books per week (newspaper), there was no time to dwell on one point. As for my inner critic, the bastard, I fired for sabotage! I can easily get by without his contribution. Someone had told me that is not as rotten as you think ... to add in the same breath we are not as good as you want ...
So let's not be too hard on ourselves, while keeping your feet on the ground.
This super interesting interview is not over yet, fortunately. In a future post, you can read the last part (snif! sniff!) Of our interview with Alain.
Thanks for being there and read us.
soon,
Annie xxx ...
0 comments:
Post a Comment