Thursday, February 3, 2011

Why Women's Wearing Napkins

The interview technique

Emily Hanlon explains in his book The Art of Fiction Writing or How to Fall Down the Rabbit Hole Without Really Trying , a technique that I find extraordinary. Anyway, for the kind of writer I am, it works very well. I use it to better understand my characters, so they are not only creatures of paper to a single dimension. This technique helps me feel better inside. It helps to counteract this bad habit that I have a purely mental image of what they are, avoiding any contact with my emotions.

Here's how Emily describes her technique:

(unofficial translation)

This technique of interviewing the character can be very useful. The secret of success is to be relaxed enough, free enough of his inner critic, to flow with the creative flow and allow to rise all that can or must be born. Perhaps you would take time to see the character in your inner eye. You absolutely do not need to see the physical appearance of the character, instead, open up its presence and allow the energy you animate, you live. Use this technique with a character who comes from one of your written or one you never even imagined. Never doubt neither questions nor answers that arise naturally.

Here are some questions to help you start your interview. It does give you a few, leave the rest of the interview flow naturally from the interactions between you and the character. Get an idea of him or her from its appearance. Feel the energy, hear his voice, let the interview take its own direction, his own life. Cast in the flood.

Questions Departure:

- What is your name?

- How old are you?

- Where you were born (e)?

- Where do you live now?

- Are you married (e)?

- Do you have children?

- What kind of work do you do in life?

- Tell me why you're here.

The last question is the one I prefer. I asked a similar Sandrinelli to my character, heroine of the news I am writing workshop for Elizabeth Vonarburg. I asked her why she wanted me to talk about it. And his answer was that the idea was hiding behind my story and I could not put your finger on it ...

can also use this technique when you do not know how one of our characters must react in a given situation. That's what I did with my character Jacob in my novel, The Burning of Adeline. He answered me and I could continue writing my story.

This technique really helps me dig into my characters ...

By listening carefully to the answers of the characters, we can better understand their distinctive voice, that is to say the way they talk, their jargon, the structure of their sentences ...

I tell you, the interview is an invaluable tool for the writer. Try it and tell me your experience by leaving a comment below.

If you know of other techniques to help the writer to his characters know better, the techniques you've already experienced preferably, I invite you to share them by leaving a comment, below, to that everyone can benefit.

Thank you for being there and read me.

soon,

Annie xxx ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment